Unfortunately, since we stayed an extra night in Ahipara, we
had a lot of driving to make up on Friday.
According to the GPS, the drive would only take 6 hours to get to
the hostel we booked south of Auckland.
The GPS was wrong. First off, it
sent us on a route that required us to take a $20 ferry ride that left every
hour instead of taking us to a highway ten minutes down the road that
originally took us to Ahipara in the first place. It also assumed that I could drive hairpin
turn after hairpin turn for a good portion of the trip at an average speed of
100 kph. It also didn’t help that we hit
two hours of traffic passing through Auckland.
Long story short, a supposed 6 hour drive turned into a nearly ten hour
drive. At least the weather was nice
though, and we were treated to many incredible views. Here are some pics taken on the drive…
![]() |
| On the west coast of the Northland. Some dunes in the distance. |
| Auckland from the highway, just before the traffic jam. |
On Saturday we set off fairly early to head to our first destination of the day, Rotorua. On the way there though, we drove by this…
We actually had to make a u-turn to go back and take a picture of this. I must say I was pretty excited. Yes, I am a dork. Anyways, I guess this is very close to the Hobbiton set from LOTR. We didn’t bother to go see it because I read it’s pretty expensive, so I guess that means I’m not THAT big of a dork. Or maybe it just means that I'm cheap...
On we went to Rotorua, which is famous for its thermal
activity. So as you can imagine, as we entered
the area, the smell of sulfur got pretty intense. It was so bad, it actually made me do my
favorite Bluto impression from Labyrinth…”Smelllllllllllllls
baaaaaaaaddddddd!” (It is now my goal to
mention Labyrinth in every post I make during this trip).
In Rotorua, we visited Whakarewarewa Thermal Village which
is a native Maori village that sits in a very thermally active area. We really enjoyed it because we got to see
some cool thermal stuff, as well as get a glimpse into the Mauri way of life.
Here is a picture which gives you a good sense of what the village looks like, and what I mean by thermal activity. The whole town sits on top of a few feet of the Earth’s crust, underneath which sits 100+ degree water. Pretty crazy.
| With this t-shirt on, who would ever guess I'm Canadian... |
Here is a thermal pool that sits in the middle of the
village that is a balmy 95 or so degrees Celsius. They use this pool to cook eggs, veggies,
etc. If you look closely, you can see a
bag of corn on the cob being cooked in the pool. Sharon was very enthusiastic about getting
some of this corn to eat…
…which you can see for yourself in this pic. It was actually quite good as a lot of the minerals in the water seep into the corn to make it extra tasty.
After the village, we went Zorbing! Zorbing is basically getting into a giant
rubber ball filled with some water and riding it down a hill. It was quite a thrill. Most of you probably already saw the pic that
was posted on FB of us inside the ball after the run, but here it is again for
your viewing pleasure. And yes, thank you
Soo, I am very very white. If it makes
you feel better, I am working on a serious farmer’s tan right now;)
Here is also a picture of the hill we went down. You can see the Zorbs going up the conveyor in the back.
After Zorbing, we drove to National Park to rest up for our
big day hike of the Tongariro Crossing the next day…stay tuned.




A wonderful story guys. Good self control over the Hobbittown thing. feeling compelled to rent Labyrinth though. We have had similar experiences with the Gps. Sometimes we just curse and turn Angela off.
ReplyDeleteHow. The Hell. Did you not. Go into Hobbiton.
ReplyDeleteI know. In hindsight, we should have gone. We met a German woman yesterday who did it and said it was definitely worth the price of admission. Plus, she said the tour guide looked like a Hobbit, and you got to sheer sheep when you were there too.
DeleteHow expensive could it be? I'm sure the pix would have been great. Re: gps: Did you guys fight at all? A detour like that would have been the end of my marriage :)
ReplyDeleteIt would have been like $130 for the two of us for a 2 hour tour. No fighting during the drive, though we both were a bit grumpy once we hit the traffic in Auckland.
Delete